Saturday, April 14, 2007

Being Understood by God

So I was looking through my e-mail and saw this and thought it was really worth sharing... From



21When my soul was embittered,
when I was pricked in heart,
22I was brutish and ignorant;
I was like a beast toward you.
23Nevertheless, I am continually with you;
you hold my right hand.
24You guide me with your counsel,
and afterward you will receive me to glory.


|| Psalm 73:21-24 || ESV ||

In psalm 73 Asaph is a bitterly confused man. He looks around and sees that the wicked are prospering while he, a righteous man, suffers. In this he is not unlike Job. The old equation of "works righteousness" no longer makes sense to him. And he is bitter and angry.
Everything changes for him the instant he enters the sanctuary of the Lord in verse 17. This experience of renewed Presence seems to make the confusion vanish like a mist. In 21 he apologizes for his outburst. (Though take note his angry words are now a part of holy scripture!) The act of taking his eyes off his enemies and looking once more toward the Father causes him to remember all a person need remember; He is always "with us," holding our right hand, guiding us and promising us a place.



And for your enjoyment...

"There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it"



No comments: